Gasparini on and off the court

Carolina Dias Gasparini has been one of the leading ladies for Seward volleyball in kills this season. She logged nine kills and 13 digs against one of Seward’s biggest rivals, the Hutchinson Blue Dragons, but there’s more to this athlete than can be seen on the court.

Gasparini finished her freshmen year with awards such as the Jayhawk West Freshman of the Year, first team NJCAA All-Region VI, and the first team All-Jayhawk West. Gasparini is also among one of  eight sophomores returning for this season.

Gasparini is from Porto Ferreira, Brazil, where she started playing club volleyball at 13 years old.

Seven years later, Gasparini now finds herself a long way from home, playing for Seward as the outside hitter. Being away from Brazil, there are many things she misses.

“I miss the Brazilian food,” Gasparini said. “I miss my family and especially my little brother, Gabriel. I also miss my friends.”

Gasparini has two brothers, but she is the middle child in the family. Gabriel is 12 years old while her older brother, Fabio, is 22 years old.

In her free time, Gasparini enjoys talking to her family back home or just hanging out with her teammates and friends. Yet her love for volleyball motivated her to come to Seward and continue to play.

“In Brazil it is very hard to play volleyball at the college,” Gasparini said. “SCCC offered me the best chance to play volleyball and continue my education. In addition, Seward’s conference is one of the most competitive in the country, so I’m challenged more.”

Adapting to the move from Brazil to the United States was a little tough for her at the beginning.

“Last year was really hard [for] me because I did not speak very much English,” Gasparini said. “[It] was very hard to communicate with my teammates and classmates. My English is better this year, so this year is a lot more fun because I can talk and understand everybody.”

Gasparini’s current major is in business, but plans to change it to International Relations when she moves on to her next college.

Both years that she has been at SCCC/ATS, she has been named to the Athletic Director’s Honor Roll.

“I’m not currently sure where I will go after here, but I would love to keep playing volleyball,” said Gasparini. “I will see at the end of the season what opportunities open up for me.”

Currently, the Lady Saints volleyball team has a record of 12-10.

Gasparini said, “We have been playing inconsistently, but we know we have a team that can be great.”

With the season a little over halfway done, Gasparini will continue to work towards the team’s goal of being conference champions and going to the national tournament.

The Lady Saints will have their next five games at home starting Friday against Butler at noon.

Crusader photo/Maria Lara Carolina Gasparini digs the ball in an effort to return a kill attempt from the Hutchinson Blue Dragons. Gasparini ended the night Sept. 17 with nine kills and 13 digs.
Crusader photo/Maria Lara
Carolina Gasparini digs the ball in an effort to return a kill attempt from the Hutchinson Blue Dragons. Gasparini ended the night Sept. 17 with nine kills and 13 digs.