Lady Saints defeat Garden City to advance in Region VI tourney

The Lady Saints started out with a boom last night at the first round of volleyball Regionals. The momentum was only lost for one set and Seward celebrated a win with a final score of 25-10.

With their win, the Lady Saints move on to play at Hutchinson against Colby. Barton also defeated Cloud County, and Hutchinson defeated Dodge. The winners will also be advancing to play in the NJCAA Region VI tournament at Hutchinson. The match to determine the region champions will be next Monday.

Taking the lead in the first set,  the Lady Saints constantly stayed on top of their game. There were a few times where Seward took some blows, but they finally brought back their momentum with a lead of 13-10. The game was quickly tied at 16.

Carolina Gasparini gave the Lady Saints another point lead and they had their first four point lead since the start of the game with a score of 21-17. The energy within the team stayed high all throughout the game and they finished with a score of 25-20.

The second set did not commense with the same energy and the Garden City Broncbusters took the lead until halfway through the game.

The Lady Saints struggled to get in the lead in the second set and eventually tied the game 11 and 16. Finally, with a score of 17-16,  Seward took their first lead of the set.

Morgan Riley gave her team another point with a block, making the score 22-17. Garden could’ve closed in, but the Lady Saints put down yet another kill, leaving the Busters at a final score of 25-21.

The Lady Saints could’ve gone for three sets in a row but unfortunately came up short by two points and lost their third set 23-25.

The momentum was not there from the beginning of the third set and it was a back and forth game until the end. Seward began to close in on the Busters when the score was at 16-18, but it wasn’t until six points later that the Lady Saints tied with the Busters at 20 and then again at 22.

The rally to win was a scrappy one, but the Busters succeeded over the Lady Saints.

To conclude the match, Garden once again took the lead only to be left in the dust.

Seward was not going to let the Busters take another lead. After the score of 5-3 with the Saints on top, the Busters were only able to score one more point, making it was obvious that they weren’t coming back from their beat down with the score at 21-4.

The Busters made various attempts to put the ball down, but they were unlucky and their efforts fell through.

A double block from Seward put Seward at 24-9. The Lady Saints won their last set against the Busters 25-10.

Crusader photo/Jakub Stepanovic Hitter Morgan Riley, sophomore at Seward County Community College, spikes the volleyball Tuesday night against Garden City in the first round of the regional tournament and the team’s final outing at the Green House.
Crusader photo/Jakub Stepanovic
Hitter Morgan Riley, sophomore at Seward County Community College, spikes the volleyball Tuesday night against Garden City in the first round of the regional tournament and the team’s final outing at the Green House.