Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration 2016

Andrea Baca, Reporter

In 1968, Hispanic Heritage Month was know as “Hispanic Heritage Week”. President Lyndon B. Johnson first started the celebration and it was later expanded in 1988 by President Ronald Reagan to become a 30-day celebration period.

This occasion is celebrated from Sept. 15 to Oct.15. This time is used to celebrate the histories, cultures and contributions of hispanic Americans that came from Mexico, Spain, the Caribbean and South America. It is also celebrated in some Latin American countries like Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua.

The SCCC branch of the Hispanic American Latino Organization (HALO) had a meeting to discuss how to celebrate on campus. The first event the club sponsored was voter registration on Sept. 15 and 16. They helped students sign up to vote for the November presidential election.

Perla Camacho, club member, said, “We talked about several ideas for Hispanic Heritage Month, but the one we will be doing for sure is the movie day.”

The movie viewing will be related to Hispanic culture and will be on Sept. 28 at 5 p.m. in 214 E/W.

Watch for special activities through the month sponsored by Student Life and HALO. Cash prizes will be given away at some of the events.

Events taking place throughout the month include:
Sept. 28: Hispanic Heritage Food – lunch and live music in the student union cafeteria
Sept. 28: Latino Movie Night at 5 p.m. in 214 E/W
Sept. 30: Walking Tacos for 300 – starts at 11 a.m. in the student union. Get it before it’s gone.
Oct. 5: Jalapeno Eating Competition – 12:30 p.m., courtyard/student life center. CASH PRIZEs of $100, $50 and $25.
Oct. 5: Fried Ice Cream – 12:30 p.m., courtyard/student life center.
Oct. 12: Chips and Salsa, Mockaritas, Snow Cones and live music by the SLC fire pit.

This annual celebration has a different meaning to everyone. For Camacho, the main thing is to embrace her heritage and culture.

“This celebration means to me Hispanic heritage, history and culture,” she said.