Lady Saints end volleyball season as Jayhawk West Conference Champions

For the 2017 volleyball season, the Lady Saints has had a long road from becoming Jayhawk West Conference Champions. From the beginning of the season, they started to easily defeat every team that they competed against. The Lady Saints managed to knock down every single Jayhawk West Conference team in the league and kept their conference record to end at 16-0. Although the Lady Saints kept a great conference record, they fell short to keep their overall record from being perfect. The only team that they lost twice to was the Hutchinson Blue Dragons, ending the Lady Saints overall record being 33-2.

Angel Meza
The Lady Saints stand tall and strong as they get ready to face off their opponent at the Greenhouse. The Lady Saints finished their amazing season with an overall record of 33-2.
Angel Meza
Sophomore Viviane Viana leaps into the air to attempt a deadly spike against the opposing team. Viana was known very well for her thundering spikes and kills.
Angel Meza
The Lady Saints cheer one an another after earning a point against the opposing team. The Lady Saints enjoyed cheering on another and always motivating each other on the court.
Angel Meza
Freshman Esmadar Tavares leaps into the air to set up the volleyball for one of her teammates.
Angel Meza
Freshmen Luz Sierra and Giovanna Tapigliani jump in the air to attempt to block the opposing team’s spike. Sierra and Tapigliani are known for their blocking and their kills. Sierra is one of the rowdy crowd’s favorite, because whenever she returns to the court, ever one cheers on “Luz.”
Angel Meza
The student/athlete section were by far the best of the season. They showed up to every home game to cheer on their great Lady Saints. The rowdy crowd was always loud and tried to distract the opposing team.

They still managed to have six Lady Saints being named All-Conference, while Head Coach Thais Baziquetto-Allen was named Coach of the Year for the second consecutive year. Sophomore setter Giovanna Kuntze was named 1st Team All-Conference, but was also named Most Valuable Player. Joining Kuntze on the 1st Team All-Conference list was freshman Right Side Giovanna Tapigliani. Tapigliani was also named Freshman of the Year for the conference. The final Lady Saint to be named 1st Team All-Conference was sophomore Middle Hitter Mariana Nascimento. Viviane Viana was awarded 2nd Team All-Conference. Freshman Luz Sierra rounds out the 2nd Team winners. She ranked 5th in the country in blocks. Sophomore outside hitter Briana Domino finished the year ranking second on the team in digs.

Angel Meza
The Lady Saints celebrate after Freshman Luz Sierra ends the set with one of her deadly kills.