Cheerleader passionate about skateboarding

She takes a shy glance around the park as if to see if anyone is watching, but there is hardly a soul. A couple of boys briefly look at her with curiosity. The sun shines blindingly. It is barely 4 p.m. Janae looks at her feet, takes a deep breath, and instantly jumps with her board. She goes airborne. She flicks her skateboard with her heel and it does a 360 along its axis. Janae lands her heelflip and smiles. Janae Snodgrass, 18, is a freshman at Seward County Community College who is not only a cheerleader, but also an avid skater. Snodgrass embraced skateboarding when she made friends in Wichita who were so passionate about skating themselves. With only a year of practice, Janae can perform an ollie, pop shove it, and a heelflip. She loves pushing the envelope and creating new challenges out of skateboarding. And even though “being one of the few girls to skate is a bit intimidating in a male dominant sport,” she intends to continue skating until she is “physically unable to.” Getting started: People interested in skateboarding should simply get a pair of skate shoes and a skateboard. Tony Hawk’s Huckjam Series skateboard is available at Wal-Mart for only $45. It is not a professional level skateboard, but it works pretty well on both the streets and at the skatepark. Tek-style, located on 164 Pancake Blvd., also sells skateboards but they cost a bit more. Their helmets cost about $23. Protective gear is optional, however, ­­falls and bruises are a guarantee. Skaters don’t just wear skinny jeans to make a fashion statement. The jeans help protect against scrapes and burns. When it comes to actual skating, watch a lot of YouTube videos and practice often. Ollies need to be learned first since they are the foundation for other tricks. Start by practicing them on grass, which is a more forgiving cushion. One will find the chances of falling are less than on concrete. Be aware that tricks may take weeks if not months to land. Don’t be afraid to ask skaters themselves for tips, for most of them are cool as beans. Skateboarding is an interesting way to make friends, exercise, improve one’s balance, and of course one’s tan.