Perry moves on from SCCC

Perry moves on from SCCC

Myron Perry plans to forward from SCCC in the year 2020 to pursue a job in for several biofuel processes from biogas to another confidential processes.

Daniela Carmona

Daniela Carmona

Daniela Carmona

During Myron Perry’s free time between classes, he walks down the hall in a chipper mood, greeting everyone passing by or sitting down. Perry is the microbiology instructor at Seward County Community College and will be leaving after this spring semester ends to pursue a job for several biofuel processes from biogas to another confidential process.

Perry started his journey at SCCC in 2013. The biology instructor taught microbiology, nutrition, and anatomy and physiology at SCCC. He stopped teaching anatomy and physiology but now does directed individual studies in biology.

I wasn’t settled down yet in Liberal, but once I got the news, I decided to settle and buy a house to work here long term”

— Myron Perry

Although Perry has been teaching here for six years, this is not his first rodeo. Perry has also taught as a sports medicine teacher at a high school in Poway, California for five years, before working at SCCC. Perry was also the athletic trainer there.

However, In his adulthood, the instructor has experienced more than just teaching. He joined the Army at the age of 32.

“I joined the Army to become a nurse but after I finished, the Army sent me to a combat engineer company. I served three years and decided not to re-up at the end of my contract,” Perry said.

After serving in the Army, the instructor met his wife and moved to Kansas. He ended up not getting into a nursing program, which is when his journey to becoming a biology major and professor began.

“I already had a lot of credits for a biology degree, so I just decided to do that instead. I went to graduate school at Pitt State because the economy was bad and there weren’t a whole bunch of job opportunities for someone with a B.S degree,” Perry said. He finished his master’s at the age of 48 at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas.

After teaching at SCCC for six years, Perry decided to stay and settle in Liberal because he was offered the opportunity to become the director of the Bridges Program. The Bridges Program gives opportunities to minority STEM students to research and participates in contests nationally.

Daniela Carmona
Before attaining his master’s degree, microbiology instructor, Myron Perry joined the Army to become a nurse. Perry decided to finish his master’s degree at Pitt State University in Pittsburg, Kansas after not getting into a nursing program.

“I wasn’t settled down yet in Liberal, but once I got the news, I decided to settle and buy a house to work here long term,” Perry said.

Before him, Todd Carter vice president of academic affairs, was in charge of the Bridges Program. With this new opportunity, Perry had the chance of making the bridges program his own. With a research background, he took the program in a different direction.

Before commencing his job at SCCC, Perry already had experience in research. When he conducted research on the H5N1 influenza virus and did a study on Vitamin D and current dosing while also completing his master’s degree.

“I got lucky and saw a job opening at SCCC for this position and got hired!” Perry said.

As a professor, Perry is driven to teach his students well enough in order for them to qualify for any job they apply for. Perry also goes out of his way to host study groups for his students outside of school to revise the class material.

Daniela Carmona, Photographer

Daniela Carmona is a full-time student with three dogs and a turtle. One of her favorite hobbies is photography. She wants to be a foster mom after completing...

Annette Meza, Copy Editor

Annette Meza is 18 years old and was born and raised in Liberal, Kansas. She graduated from Liberal High School and plans to attend SCCC for two years...

1 Comment

One Response to “Perry moves on from SCCC”

1. Any Dockery on May 8th, 2019 2:34 am

Myron was my favorite teacher in High school. He was the trainer my sophomore year at Poway High. I was not the best teen but I think Mr. Perry brought out the best in me. He ended up getting a class and teaching us so much about being a sports trainer. I am so grateful to have been taught by him. Congrats on your achievements Mr. Perry!

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Features

Thomas prefers to show rather than tell

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Multimedia

Photo Essay: SCCC spring concert saves the night

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Entertainment

Take a break from studying with de-stress week

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Features

Students transform cars

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Features

Chemistry students design, create soaps

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Features

International students adjust to America

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Entertainment

How much do we know about Easter?

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Entertainment

SCCC hosts annual Poetry Coffeehouse

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Entertainment

Review: SCCC’s “The Little Mermaid”

• Perry moves on from SCCC

Entertainment

Photo Essay: Concert benefits athletic scholarships

Perry moves on from SCCC