Telolith revealed at de-stress night

With finals approaching quickly, different methods on how to ease stress can be found all over social media. The SCribblers and Anime club at Seward County Community College came up with their own ideas to help students and compiled it together for a de-stress night in the student union on Tuesday. 

Dustin Farmer, the art instructor, started off the evening by unveiling the Telolith. The Telolith is a magazine compiled of submitted students’ photography, drawings and writings. This year’s was the 49th edition of the magazine. 

“It actually started the year I was born.” Farmer commented. “It is both a pain in the rear and an enjoyment when it is finished.” 

The cover of the magazine is an artwork done by SCCC student Yisel Ramos, an art major from Liberal. Ramos is part of the graphic design class who helped layout the whole magazine. Copies of the Telolith were handed out for free at the event. More can be found in the humanities building for any student who wants one. 

SCribbler’s president Tirzah Howery, a liberal arts major, then introduced the activities for the rest of the night and invited students to enjoy the snack table. An assortment of snacks including cookies and brownies were provided with an ingredient label. 

Howery had a table where students played two different types of card games, Uno and Howery’s personal favorite, “In a Pickle.” Another de-stress activity was magnetic poetry. Random word magnets were on magnetic boards, and the idea was to create poems using these words. 

One table had different crafts including crochet, drawing, and coloring. Nicole Piper, an art education major from Hugoton, manned this station with her knowledge of crocheting. 

Darin Workman, the band instructor, brought his sheepadoodle named Moose to the event for people to pet and play with. 

The area with the most activity was the painting rocks table. Students used acrylic paint pens to draw anything they wanted on as many rocks as they could come up with. Piper was inspired by Moose and drew his face on the rock. 

The anime club hosted an area upstairs in the student union where students watched “Princess Mononoke,” a fantasy adventure film. The club director and social science instructor, Kevin Gleason, also explained what anime was before the film started. 

“There’s about a ten-second educational component to it, to prevent copyright,” he said with a laugh. 

Gleason also invited students to join the club regularly. The anime club meets twice a week and watch cartoons for about an hour. The club plans to meet again next fall semester.