Saints win over Barton gives team confidence for regionals

The men’s team won its duel against Barton 8-1; however, the women’s tennis lost against Barton when both men’s and women’s tennis teams went to Barton Community College April 9. The men won eight of their nine matches. All three Saints doubles partners, Fernando Soni and Carlos Souza, Eduardo Munoz and Christian Romanzini, and Laercio Lobo and Nathan Nelmes won their matches. The Lady Saints doubles partners Antigoné Lowery and Sylvia Perez, and Fanny Benincasa and Kauna Goncal won their matches as well. Lowery also won her singles match. The Saints won all but one singles match; Souza could not play his singles match due to knee injury. Despite not being able to play his singles match at Barton, Souza is still confident about regionals starting in Wichita today. “If we beat them [Barton] again, we will go to nationals.” Souza said. Souza also noted that Cowley is the team to beat in regionals. Nationals are May 10 in Dallas. It has been more than five years since the men have gone, but Souza thinks the men have a good chance to go to nationals this year. “We did good the whole season,” Souza said. The women also start regionals in Wichita today. “It’s going to be tough,” Lowery said. “I think there will be more pressure on me since I won my bracket last year.” Lowery also also added that the freshman are nervous about regionals. “I’m nervous but excited since it is my first regionals,” freshman Lindy Kowalchuk said. “We are nervous but we are all very supportive of each other, which helps a lot.”

Crusader photo/Miguel Campano Seward County player Gustavo Ruiz-Abad hits a forehand during practice before heading to take on Barton Community College.
Crusader photo/Miguel Campano
Seward County player Gustavo Ruiz-Abad hits a forehand during practice before heading to take on Barton Community College.