Sigma Chi Chi spends time at state prison

Members of Sigma Chi Chi spent some time in a Federal Correctional Institute in El Reno, Okla. after a weekend at Lake Tenkiller.
The criminal justice group was visiting the lake and the correctional institute as part of a college trip.
Sigma Chi Chi members arrived at Marval Family Resort, a cabin-style resort near Lake Tenkiller, April 16. The group went to listen to the lake game warden speak about the duties of a warden and the things that, as officers, they encounter in the park, such as drug abusers and unlicensed hunters. He also related the duties of game wardens to other law enforcement officials and described the requirements for becoming a park ranger.
“The educational value of the trip exceeded my expectations,” said club sponsor Cristy Mulanax. “The game warden showed a lot of professionalism.”
The members took part in a few outdoor activities during their stay at Lake Tenkiller. Several of the Sigma Chi Chi members fished in a trout stream, but among those that fished, Sigma Chi Chi member Mark Hartle was the only member that had any success.
“I caught probably the only two fish in the stream,” Hartle said.
The club members also made campfires, hiked and skipped rocks for fun.
“My favorite part of the lake was the trout stream. I built a fire and it was fun,” Mulanax said.
From Lake Tenkiller, the Sigma Chi Chi members went to El Reno Federal Prison to have a look at what goes on inside a medium security prison and how it is run. Part of the learning experience included conversations with white collar inmates, inmates who were arrested for non violent crimes such as money laundering and embezzlement.
The Sigma Chi Chi members said they felt that the atmosphere at the prison was very casual, due in large part to a very progressive warden. When club members asked why the inmates seemed so civilized, supervisor of the work camp Chris Adams told them, “If you treat them like animals, they will act like animals.”
Adams gave the club members the tour of the prison, which had a very campus-like layout. It had cells and living areas in most buildings, and many of the inmates qualified for the prisons work and education programs.
“I was amazed by how civilized the prisoners were,” said Sigma Chi Chi member Rowina Garcia. “They were taking classes at the prison and seemed very educated,”
The Sigma Chi Chi members returned to the college April 21.