Nursing insrtuctor leaves college for hospital

Ingland
Ingland

Nursing instructor Susan Ingland is resigning after three years with Seward County Community College Allied Health to work at Southwest Medical Center.
Ingland teaches the fundamentals of nursing, gerontological nursing, clinicals, clinical simulations and client care nursing.
“Every time I go to teach, I learn,” Ingland said. “It’s amazing how much you continue to learn.”
Wanting to make a difference was the reason Ingland first became an instructor.
“It’s what nurses do,” Ingland said. “They are always wanting to make a difference and make the world a better place. Whether it’s the patients you take care of or teaching others to take care of them, I think as a nurse you always teach.”
Tracey Stuckey-Gardner, a nursing instructor at SCCC Allied Health, will miss having Ingland on staff.
“I will miss Susan’s smile and bubbly personality. She has been a wonderful instructor as well as a friend,” Stuckey-Gardner said. “I’m going to miss her greatly.”
Ingland has enjoyed her time with SCCC Allied Health.
“I really enjoyed working here. I think it’s helped me to grow professionally and as an individual,” Ingland said. “It has helped me… kind of like going to school all over again.”
Putting patients first is something Ingland hopes she has instilled in her students during her time at the college.
Although Ingland is leaving the college as an instructor, she will still be instructing nursing students as they graduate and get jobs at SWMC.
“It’s not like saying goodbye,” Ingland said. “It’s just moving on.”
Ingland will become the director of utilization management at SWMC. Monitoring Medicare guidelines, making sure that the hospital is following those guidelines and making sure they are compliant will be elements of Ingland’s job.
There are a lot of new changes in governmental guidelines and regulations, and so there’s going to be a lot of new changes in the health care system,” Ingland said. “It’s kind of exciting to be at this position at the ground level where it’s starting off.”
Teaching has instilled a few characteristics in Ingland that she will take with her, like always looking at things from another person’s perspective and always trying to explain things better so that they will be understood.
“I enjoyed teaching. It’s a wonderful experience,” Ingland said.