Green in

Baseball  Fall scrimmage for baseball will begin at 1 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31 against Dodge City at Seward.  This season, the Saints baseball team has 18 returning players and also counts with three of the top recruits in junior college baseball: Brent Williams, JB Olson, and Hayden Howard. Galen McSpadden, head baseball coach, said, “(I expect the team) to represent the game of baseball, this program, Seward County Community College, and the Liberal community in a positive and professional manner.” The team’s goals are to win the JUCO World Series, the KJCCC Conference, ­and the Region VI.

Softball  Even with only two regular starters returning on the infield from a year ago,  Seward softball Coach Andrea Gustafson expects to “see improvements each and every time we go out to play. I expect the kids to play hard, compete, be great teammates to each other, and to be coachable.” The goals for the team this year are to win the Region VI championship and to go to the National Tournament in St. George, Utah. The first home game will be Thursday, Aug. 28.

Tennis  Coach Jerry Thor is really excited for this season. “It’s my third year coaching here, and this year is the most exciting for me.  We will be playing universities in the fall so it’s always an exciting time to see where your college stands with the bigger universities.”  The Saints and Lady Saints will be returning National Freshman of the Year Ronzai Saurombe on the men’s side, and on the women’s side the tennis team returns a great player in Paula Coyos. Coach Thor also said, “If we just work hard, I really think this year can be great.”  The season goes into full swing for both teams on Sept. 5 in Wichita.

Baseball  Saints: Goals for the Saints are high this year. Assistant coach, Patrick Nee shared that the team’s goals are to win their fifth straight Jayhawk West Title, win a region championship and play on March 21, 2015, because that’s the national championship game. Returning to the team are Niem Stevenson, Secean Johnson, Evan Allen, Tyreke Sharp and Verdell Mays. The Coaches expect the team to “help Seward Basketball go to the next level.” Lady Saints: A new season and a new team does not defer Coach Toby Wynn’s goal that he sticks to every year; “win the conference, win the region and win a national championship,” Wynn said. This season, Wynn will also have a new assistant coach, Kelli Willingham, who just finished a career of “prolific playing,” at the University of Texas at El Paso. The two coaches are still getting to know each other, but they’re looking forward to playing Seward’s biggest rivals, the Hutchinson Blue Dragons. Their first home game is Oct. 31 against Hill College.

sonofman
Brandon Rix poses to imitate “The Son of Man”in a modern setting at the pavilion in Light Park. Rix is a regular in the Saints baseball lineup. He played in 56 out of 61 games last year and averaged .266 in hits. The first fall scrimmage for baseball will begin with a home game at 1 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 31 against Dodge City Community College. Crusader staff photo