Technical school hosts car show

The Area Technical School is hosting its fourth annual car show, beginning at 1 p.m. on April 25 at the Area Technical School, 2215 N. Kansas Ave. Setup will begin at 9:30 a.m. The car show will be at 1-5 p.m., including the people’s choice awards at 4 p.m. People who attend the car show will be able to vote on their favorite vehicle. There will also be a sound off for participants, with a car radio contest. “The awards are all people’s choice awards, except for the president’s choice award,” Steve Merz, drafting and design technology instructor, said. The classes include pickups, motorcycles, classic cars, muscle cars, street rods, imports, tractors, low riders and stock cars. In celebration of the college’s 40th anniversary, there will also be a special category for 1969-70 cars. The winner of this category will receive a special presidential award. “There’s a $20 registration fee; half goes to the scholarship foundation and half goes to Skills USA student organization,” Merz said. “In past years, we’ve had a Pike’s Peak hill climb race car and a rail dragster,” Merz said. “One year we had an all-original, running, 1948 Indian motorcycle.” Brothers Ernie and Rick Schaffer have both entered in the car show before. “I don’t know if I’ll be able to enter yet this year, but I did a couple years ago and got a third-place award,” Ernie Schaffer, who owns a Mustang convertable, said. His brother Rick has won the presidential award in the past with his ’65 Corvette.