Trick-or-Treat Street provides safe environment for campus visitors

Seward County Community College/Area Technical School will host Trick- or- Treat Street from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 30, to give campus clubs a chance to interact with the community. Last year the event had around 1,000 people come through the doors. Trick- or- Treat Street has been around for about 15 years. Wade Lyon, director of student life and leadership, has attended Trick-or-Treat Street for the past eight years. “It’s fun to see the community and college interact with each other,” Lyon said. He said everyone is welcome to attend this event, with no set age restriction. It’s a convenient event because trick-or-treaters can come to one general location have a bag filled with candy by the time they leave. The event will start in the Student Union building, and, after going through and seeing and doing the activities planned, the trick-or-treaters may then go across to the Student Living Center. At the Student Living Center, the first floor will hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters. On the second floor, there will be haunted hallways for those who are looking for a little fright. “The community really supports us and we want to be able to give back to the community,” Lyon said. The event strives to provide a safe, fun environment. If trick-or-treaters attend Trick-or-Treat Street, the weather isn’t an issue. They can come inside the union for treats. Attendees can expect multiple SCCC/ATS clubs and organizations at the event such as the Phi Theta Kappa club, which will have small plastic pumpkins with numbers on the bottom of them and what ever the number is on the bottom of the pumpkin is how many pieces of candy the trick-or-treater will receive. Other clubs and organizations that will be working at the Trick-or-Treat Street are Pathways, Sigma Chi Chi, the International Students Organization, Kylix Art Club, Students Promoting Educational Careers, Block and Bridle, the Crusader, and the SCCC/ATS Wellness Center. Booths will have activities available for the visitors and will hand out candy as well.