Lady Saints falls in the clash of nationally ranked teams

The Lady Saints record changed to 22-3 and they took a hard loss as Seward and Hutch, two nationally ranked teams, took the court Saturday. The next conference game is on Wednesday, Feb. 12. The Lady Saints play at the Green House against Garden City at 6 p.m.

Hutchinson

The No. 9 Lady Saints traveled to Hutchinson to take on the No. 3 Lady Blue Dragons Saturday, Feb. 8, with first place in the Jayhawk Conference in mind. Hutchinson had defeated Seward on its home court last time they played, but only by six points. Both teams remained ranked in the top 10 leading into this important conference game.   The Seward Lady Saints got off to a quick start with a 40-0 lead.  The momentum switched back and forth all half, with Seward having  the advantage 37-33 at the break.

After half time the Lady Blue Dragons came to play but Hutchinson couldn’t quit committing turnovers.  It was a see-saw battle once again, until Hutchison got the lead down the stretch and the Saints just couldn’t come up with any answers.  Hutchison  defeated the Seward County Lady Saints 81-71, which gave Hutchison the top spot in the Jayhawk West conference. Alana Simon had a big game scoring 22 points, followed closely by Brianna Scott with 19 points.

Colby

The Seward Lady Saints played the Colby Lady Trojans on Wednesday, Feb. 5 with a very empty Green House. The snow made the roads very dangerous to travel on and caused night classes to be cancelled, but this didn’t stop Seward from bringing the heat and jumping to a quick 4-0 lead.

Having the lead for the first half of the game, the Lady Saints were feeling pretty confident going into the second half.

The kept increasing their lead, and ended the game with a win of 80-54 over the Colby Lady Trojans.

Pratt

The Seward Lady Saints played the Pratt Lady Beavers on Feb. 1 at the Beaver Dome in Pratt.

Pratt took an early lead on Seward, but it did not take long for the Lady Saints to catch up. Not only did they catch up, but they also had gained a lead  and caused Pratt to make turnovers.

Every time Pratt would cut into Seward’s lead, the Lady Saints would answer with a run of their own.

Seward defeated Pratt 90-68, and now have second place secured in the Jayhawk West conference. Brianna Scott had the team high of 39 points and five steals for the game.

Cloud

Cloud County traveled to the Green House to take on Seward County on Jan. 29. The Lady Saints started off slow with multiple turnovers.  Lucky for Seward, Cloud had just as much trouble hanging onto the ball and Seward held a slim lead going into the half. The Seward team came out the second half ready to play. They extended the lead and never looked back as the Seward Lady Saints ended up winning 80-66.  This was the 20th win of the season for the girls in green.  Fabiana Monte had the team high, which was also her personal high of 21 points against the Lady T-Birds.

Crusader Photo / Jakub Stepanovic Kyndal Davis shoots for two points with support of teammates Janel Tammen (45) and Shanise Brooks (33) in a game against Colby Community College in the Green House Feb. 5.
Crusader Photo / Jakub Stepanovic
Kyndal Davis shoots for two points with support of teammates Janel Tammen (45) and Shanise Brooks (33) in a game against Colby Community College in the Green House Feb. 5.