Michelle Mattich is the managing editor for the Spring 2019 semester.

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor

Michelle Mattich was born in El Paso, Texas She enjoys writing, and listening to music. She also enjoys reading a good book and watching Netflix. Michelle is an English major hoping to expand her horizons in the literature world. After two years at SCCC, she hopes to transfer to Wichita State University.

All content by Michelle Mattich
Advising coordinator Patsy Fischer, director of financial aid Donna Fisher, administrative assistant to the vice president of academic affairs Mary Beth Matkin and English instructor Janice Northerns get recognized at Seward County Community Colleges commencement ceremony for their hard work and dedication at SCCC. President Trzaska announced that this year would be the last year the retiring staff members will be working here.

Six faculty, staff retire from SCCC

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
May 8, 2019

Six members from the Seward County Community College staff will be retiring after this 2018-19 school year. Their work at SCCC will always be remembered...

Lady Saints get a solid start the first day of Nationals

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
May 6, 2019

The Lady Saints get a good start on the first day of nationals with five players advancing to the second round. In singles Patricia Panta from Lime,...

Co-editors, Michelle Mattich and Amberley Taylor, talk on the radio station, La Mexicana, about the Hispanic Heritage week and the projects they worked on for Humanities Kansas.

Moving Forward: Ready to write the next chapter

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
May 3, 2019

As the saying goes, "Another year, another chapter comes to an end," and my time at Seward County Community College has officially come to an end. When...

Seward County Community College will hold the 48th annual commencement ceremony on May 4 at 10 a.m. in the Greenhouse. Special guest, senior branch manager at Sunflower Bank of Liberal, Jonny Vergara, will be giving a speech as SCCC president Ken Trzaska asked him to do so.

Commencement speaker challenges status quo

Michelle Mattich, Copy Editor
May 3, 2019

The class of 2019 will take the stage this Saturday at Seward County Community College's 48th annual commencement ceremony with nearly 400 graduates. Jonny...

Madison Hall

Madison Hall

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 30, 2019

What has been the biggest struggle you have had to overcome? “Time management, balancing school work with 4H has been especially hard this semester...

Instead of taking the final in Intro to Computers, Cassandra Arredondo took up her instructors challenge and passed four certification tests for Microsoft. The freshman education major said the class was given the choice of passing all of the certifications as their final or giving a presentation to the class.

Arredondo recognized as Microsoft certified

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 23, 2019

To be a certified Microsoft specialist one needs to pass four exams on Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint. This certification shows that the...

One of the many ways to brew coffee is the pour over method. It starts by wetting the filter then pouring the coffee. Then the coffee must be stirred about five times then the more water is added and must be stirred again. The coffee can be seen dripping down.

There’s more to coffee than you think

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 18, 2019

Louie’s place is filled with the smell of coffee. The unique taste of Reverie Roasters coffee was in full swing as attendees sipped the coffee. On...

The Saints won Against Frank Phillips 13-12 in a close game. Freshman pitcher Steven Craddock came in for three innings against the visitors. The left-hander struck out two and walked two.

Saints win in walk-off

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 17, 2019

The Saints took another win with Benny Ayala from Fort Worth, Texas who walked off a hit in the ninth inning and capped a four-run rally improving the...

Gabriel Nery stretches out for the ball in a recent match against Bethany College. The sophomore from Brazil sat out a year due to a knee injury but has come back strong.

[Photo] Unsung champions

Calen Moore, Reporter
April 17, 2019

Gabriel Nery stretches out for the ball in a recent match against Bethany College. The sophomore from Brazil sat out a year due to a knee injury but has...

Nati da Rocha gets excited about winning the giant chocolate bunny. The Easter egg she found in the bookstore matched up to this prize. More than 300 eggs were hidden but not all offered prizes.

Egg-cellent dash

A sea of excited students waited with bated breath outside of the Seward County Community College bookstore. Everyone chatted nervously with their friends,...

Patricia Panta and her partner Maria Aveiga are No. 1 in doubles for SCCC. They led the game 8-5.

Saints take a win against Barton

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 16, 2019

On April 15 the tennis teams went up against Barton County Community College. Seward took two wins with both the Lady Saints and Saints taking home a wins....

Zane Alexander, Del City, Oklahoma freshman, dives bad to first base. The outfielder is known for his speed and large leads off the bag, driving opposing pitchers crazy. Alexander added two hits towards the end of the game ensuring that Seward takes a doubleheader win.

Saints go 3-1 over the weekend

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 15, 2019

The Seward County Community College baseball team have scored double digits against Garden City Community College over the weekend. Winning three of the...

The Saints took another victory on April 5 against Cowley college. The team is ranked No. 3 and have won eight of their nine games.

[Photo]

Eva Liu from Nantou County, Taiwan serves in the first game of a doubles match against Cowley College. She is ranked No. 3 for the Lady Saints.

[Photo] Win streak snapped, Lady Saints lose

SCCC Athletics
April 8, 2019

[Photo] Saints roll past Cowley College

SCCC Athletics
April 8, 2019

March 1 – March 31, 2019

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 9, 2019

The March Seward County Community College incident report is prepared by the campus security office. The incidents for this month are: March 9, 2019:...

The Seward Saints played against Claredon Community College on April 2. The saints dropped down to 16-17 overall with this loss, losing 11-3.

Saints take a loss against Clarendon College

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 3, 2019

The Saints took an early lead in the game against Clarendon College but as relievers struggled and bats were silenced, Saints were pushed down 16-17 overall....

Donors can now donate money through the crowdfunding website. This website allows you to track the progress the school makes. Students can make plea videos telling their stories and asking for family and friends to donate to the fund.

[Photo] SCCC hosts its annual Phonathon

Calen Moore, Reporter
April 3, 2019

Donors can now donate money through the crowdfunding website. This website allows you to track the progress the school makes. Students can make plea videos...

Seward County Community College will be bringing the animated adaptation of The Little Mermaid to the SCCC showcase theatre on April 5, 6 and 7. Community member, David Adams will be playing King Triton and SCCC bookstore Associate Madelyn Sander, will be playing Ariel.

Reclaim your childhood, enchant your adulthood

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 2, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N94Ze-HBHWE Annette Meza Get on stage and experience a scene with SCCC's theatre department with a 360 view. (rotate...

Cayde Ward, sophomore from Fort Worth, Texas, hits a foul ball. The Saints’ first baseman makes his presence known at the plate in most games.

Saints fall to Barton Community College

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 1, 2019

Saints took the lead by making the first inning. Benny Ayala from Fort Worth, Texas homered to left field which let Cayde Ward from Fort Worth, Texas score....

Lady Saints extend their winning streak to six

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 1, 2019

Lady Saints extended their winning streak to a 6-1 win over the weekend playing against Division II school Colorado State-Pueblo. The Lady Saints tennis...

Saints lose winning streak to Northern Colorado

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
April 1, 2019

Seward Saints played against D-1 school University of Northern Colorado over the weekend. Their six-game winning streak fell 9-5. The first two matches...

Lady Saints take a hit from Colby

Lady Saints take a hit from Colby

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 28, 2019

AJ Luna from Grand Prairie, Texas singles out on a pop fly which lets Madeline Owens from Tuttle, Oklahoma score. This marks the first inning for the Lady...

SCCC Library hosts lunch where Matthew Sanderson talks about immigration in Kansas. Although the subject is not new the way we choose to see it is.

[Photo] Guest speaker confirms immigration is not a new thing

Annette Meza, Copy Editor
March 26, 2019

Lee* learns English at the Seward County Community College Colvin Center. Attending class and learning from Sonia Hernandez and other Colvin instructors helps the Guatemalan work toward her goal of an education.

[Photo] Separated at the Border

Calen Moore, Reporter
March 26, 2019

Lee* learns English at the Seward County Community College Colvin Center. Attending class and learning from Sonia Hernandez and other Colvin instructors...

daniel

Daniel Rodriguez

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 25, 2019

Ben Tsui, outfielder from Sydney, Australia, runs down a fly ball in right field. The sophomore has had 30 put outs so far this year, giving him a fielding percentage of .938.

Saints take another win over the weekend

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 25, 2019

The Saints went up against Butler Community College and played on Mar. 24 The first game started out with Butler aking the first inning on a dropped third...

The annual poetry contest is taking entires until March 31. Students can win prizes.

SCCC annual poetry contest approaches fast

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 21, 2019

"Dust off your poems, revise them and turn them in!” Janice Northerns, English instructor, said, referring to the upcoming poetry contest Seward County...

Take two: Reverie Roasters is not that bad

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 21, 2019

The first time I tried Reverie Roasters I wasn't impressed if I’m being completely honest. But after Andrew Gough, founder of Reverie Roasters, and general...

The Saints took a big win as they beat Clarendon College 21-12.

Saints Sweep the floor with Clarendon

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 20, 2019

Saints took a major win yesterday Mar. 19 as they beat Clarendon College. Steven Craddock, from Binger, Oklahoma, struck out five of nine battings. which...

Students gather around tractors and discuss their roles in agriculture. This was part of farm day on Mar. 19.

Local schools attend farm day at Ag department

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 20, 2019

Young children stood around corrals in the gloomy early morning while high schoolers from Southwestern Heights held onto the edge of the corrals as children...

Baseball Saints played against Colby at 2 p.m. last Friday. Saints lost the first game but came back up to win the second game against Colby.

Saints split during spring break

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 18, 2019

During spring break over the period of the week between Mar. 9 - 17 Saints played a series of games against Colby Community College and Cloud Community...

Saints tennis rack up wins during spring break

Saints tennis “rack up” wins during spring break

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 18, 2019

The third-ranked men's tennis team at Seward County Community College had a great spring break. They beat five teams and only lost once during the week-long...

The Saints will attend the NJCAA national tournament, otherwise known as the Tournament, in Hutchinson. Their first game is Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. in the Hutchinson Sports Arena.

Saints attend national tournament

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 18, 2019

Saints will play round two of the NJCAA tournament tomorrow in Hutchinson Arena at 8:30 p.m. They will go up against the winner of round one game, either...

Deja Webber

Deja Webber

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 8, 2019

Why did you choose SCCC? “To complete my prerequisites.” Why is your major psychology? “My mindset would be more towards helping...

Louies place is introducing new cuisine that includes calzones, pizza rolls, customizable pizza, salads, sandwiches and even coffee!

Louie’s Place introduces a new cuisine

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 7, 2019

Louie’s place, located at the Vo-Tech, is the go-to for pretty much any snack that you are craving. From chips to candy bars, there is something out...

Both the mens and womens basketball teams advanced to the championship game for the Region VI tournament. The Lady Saints play tonight at 5 p.m. and the Saints play at 7 p.m.

Saints Beat the Cougars, head into regional finals

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 6, 2019

PARK CITY – Both the men's and women's basketball teams take to the floor tonight in the Regional championship. The women play Butler at 5 p.m. and the...

On the back end of a run down, AJ Folds, freshman outfielder from Cheyenne, Wyoming, stretches into third base. The Redlands Community College third baseman isnt paying attention to Folds as his team tries to run down another runner.

Seward takes two from Redland

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 4, 2019

The Seward County Community College baseball team dominated Redlands Community College with strong pitching and timely hitting in a doubleheader sweep,...

Earning a college degree is more than just studying and passing classes. Its about time and effort, but only you can decide your future career path. (Photo illustration)

Is a college degree worth it?

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
March 1, 2019

To earn a college degree, it takes more than just studying. It takes up time and money which sparks the question, is it even worth it? The answer is not...

Keila Perez is a freshman pre engineering major who is from Liberal, KS. She plans on becoming a computer engineer or a web page designer.

Keila Perez

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 27, 2019

Why did you choose SCCC? "Cheap and small" What do you wanna do as a career? "I want to be a computer engineer or a web page designer." What...

Wear orange on Wednesday and pledge to #lovebetter. SCCC is joining the movement to

[Photo] SCCC support services promote dating violence awareness

Cheyenne Miller, Reporter
February 26, 2019

HALO attended the United States Hispanic American leadership conference. Sponsors, Frances Brown, Patsy Fischer, and two HALO members Miguel Perez, Bryan Erives attended.

HALO learns to be leaders in Chicago

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 26, 2019

HALO (Hispanic American leadership organization) is a club at Seward County Community college that helps students develop leadership skills and embrace...

Women take seat at the big table

Women take seat at the big table

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 21, 2019

This year marked the start of an interesting change in Congress as the 116th class of Congress has some new faces, ones that I hoped to eventually see....

Tuition increases slightly for 2019-20

Tuition increases slightly for 2019-20

Michelle Mattich
February 20, 2019

Seward County Community College will be experiencing a rise in tuition. The tuition and fees increase will be $7 per credit hour for Seward County residents...

Reverie Roasters has come to Louies place. Three of their signature flavors are available.

Reverie Roasters comes to SCCC

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 19, 2019

Reverie Roasters has come to Louie's place. Three of their signature flavors are available.

Lady Saints beat Cameron

Lady Saints beat Cameron

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 18, 2019

The fifth-ranking Seward County Community College women's tennis team beat Cameron 4-3 on Friday. No.1 Patricia Panta, from Lima Peru, No.2 Maria Aveiga,...

Saints lose to longtime foe Cameron

Saints lose to longtime foe Cameron

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 18, 2019

The Saints fell 0-2, struggled on the singles side dropping four of the six matches. Nicolas Roussett, from Plaisance, France, and Sander Jans, from De...

Lady Saints swept up in a doubleheader

Lady Saints swept up in a doubleheader

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 18, 2019

Jordan Corderey, a right-hand pitcher from Colorado Springs, pitched six innings and allowed 15 runs on seven hits striking out five. Alyssa Pontoja, a...

Its winter and a snowy weekend is looming. Weve got some ideas for your Netflix binge. (Posters provided by Netflix Originals media kits.)

[Photo] 5 Netflix originals that you need to watch right now

Cheyenne Miller, Reporter
February 18, 2019

It's winter and a snowy weekend is looming. We've got some ideas for your Netflix binge. (Posters provided by Netflix Originals media kits.)

Students spent weeks coloring and decorating the valentines that went to three area nursing homes. Around 150 of the homemade cards were hand-delivered.

[Photo] SCCC students spread love to senior citizens on Valentine’s Day

Annette Meza, Copy Editor
February 15, 2019

Jan. 1 – Jan. 31, 2019

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 8, 2019

The January Seward County Community College incident report is prepared by the campus security office. The reported incidents on campus for the month are: Jan....

The SCCC 2019 homecoming king and queen candidates are Moises Alvarez, Miguel Perez, Brian Martinez, Ana Herrera, Alba Torres, Kaitlyn Van Vleet, Rodrigo Sanches. Not pictured: Cole Evans, Veronica Paul and Esmadar Tavares.

Homecoming candidates announced

Michelle Mattich and Annette Meza
February 6, 2019

The homecoming king and queen for Seward County Community College will be crowned on Feb. 9 between the men's and women 's basketball game. The women's...

A few players rest while watching there teammates practice.

Saints end opening weekend at 2-2

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 4, 2019

Opening weekend for the Saints wasn’t bad as they came away with a 2-2 record. Their first opponent was Galveston College on Feb 1-2, playing three...

Softball team has practice before their opening weekend games.

Lady Saints end opening weekend with two losses

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
February 4, 2019

The Lady Saints opened the 2019 season with a pair of losses against Northern Oklahoma Enid and North Central Texas College over the weekend. The first...

Chandler Harp talks to Oklahoma State Panhandle rep Hannah Hammock.

[Photo] Take the fear out of transferring

Cheyenne Miller, Reporter
February 4, 2019

smileyface

[Photo] Homecoming 2019

February 4, 2019

Mario Loredo is a freshman from Liberal. Get up close with him and get introduced to some of his favorite shows and movie.

[Photo] Mario Loredo

Cheyenne Miller, Reporter
February 1, 2019

Mario Loredo is a freshman from Liberal. Get "up close" with him and get introduced to some of his favorite shows and movie.

Jason Sautter has been suspended on paid leave starting on Jan. 28 for one week. Sautter has lead the mens basketball team to a record of 17-4 overall but 10-2 in the Jaykawk conference.

Coach Sautter benched for the week

Michelle Mattich and Annette Meza
January 30, 2019

Tonight the Saints men’s basketball team will take the court without their head coach. Jason Sautter has been suspended for one week, with pay, due to...

Scary movies that will give you goosebumps

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
January 30, 2019

It's been quite a trend that every new horror movie that comes out it dubbed “the scariest movie yet” but that's not always true. Scary movies play...

The No. 11 Lady Saints played against Barton County Community College on Jan. 26. They now sit at 19-2 overall and 11-1 in the KJCCC.

Lady Saints beat Barton in overtime win

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
January 28, 2019

The Lady Saints went into overtime against Barton County on Jan. 26 and came out on top, hitting the coveted century mark. Seward won 106-96. The game...

Devin Bethely, sophomore guard tries to get past an opponent in the Greenhouse on Jan. 26.

Saints bounce back beating Barton

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
January 28, 2019

No. 13  Seward County Saints stomped on Barton County Community College on Jan. 26. This gave the Saints a two game cushion over the second-place cougars....

The Agriculture banquet will help fun projects such as this new fish farm for students at SCCC.

Agriculture department hosts fundraiser banquet

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
January 24, 2019

Dress up, put your good shoes on and get ready to dine in as Seward County Community College’s agriculture department hosts a fundraising banquet. The...

The best apps available that will get you your moneys worth.

Satisfy your hunger and your wallet

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
January 24, 2019

It's a given that everyone loves food. The wallet might say no but our stomachs say yes and it leaves a big decision to make. So why not save some money...

The Seward Saints are No. 13 in the nation with a  record of 24-5 overall but 17-3 in the Jayhawk conference. (file photo)

Saints gain another victory

Michelle Mattich, managing editor
January 22, 2019

Blood, sweat, three-pointers and steals were the name of the game for the Saints over the holiday weekend. First, the No. 18 Seward team beat Dodge City,...

A potluck lunch will be at the library on Jan. 29 as a way to celebrate Kansas birthday.

Library hosts potluck Jan. 29

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor
January 17, 2019

It’s no lie that everyone likes food. But do you know the food native to southwest Kansas? There is an opportunity. Seward County Community College inclusivity...

Comments (0)

Thanks for leaving a comment. Remember to keep it clean. Anonymous comments will not be posted.
All Crusader News Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest
Michelle Mattich